Monday, April 18

How Microsoft Windows Will Die

Not with a bang but a whimper. While I am still running Windows on my home and office computer, I have found myself successively replacing Microsoft products with alternatives, many of the open source and free, which are better than the Microsoft products. First to go was Office, then Internet Explorer. But what should be the most troubling part for them is now I am replacing pieces of the Operating System itself. I have replaced most of the Windows shell, explorer, with other things. I search for things using one of the Desktop search tools from Google, Yahoo/X1, or Copernic. So what remains of Windows? Just the filesystem, process handling and software libraries. So if just the kernel is left, Microsoft is going to lose, because there are a lot better kernels out there.

Microsoft Windows and Office will become a "legacy handler" for handling obsolete documents, not the means to create new ones. Adobe/Macromedia own a lot of the new standards. Google will push to the desktop. Linux will be the Operating System. And open source projects will fill in the rest.